TRANSLATION

Thursday 5 December 2013

Something Different.

I thought that it would be good to give you chance to read about some Truckies who do not work in the WTCC series. These guys work with the Auto GP series which we are lucky enough to have as a support race at some of the WTCC races. The Auto GP cars are powered by 3.5 litre, V8 engines and they are VERY LOUD. We have a fun name for them and call them "Formula Noisy" but they are exciting to watch and the pit stops are fast and furious. These Truckies still drive all around Europe for their races and are highly skilled and knowledgeable in their jobs. The trip that we took from Italy to Morocco in 2013 meant that many of the race trucks were driving together. It gave me a chance to talk to and get to know these two very likeable Truckies.
So we all sat down in a hotel I and asked them some questions. Here are their replies.
First Q&A session is with Pete. Pete prides himself on keeping the alloy wheels on his race truck, as polished and shiny as he can.
"Pete"
What,s your name?
Pete

Nationality?
British

Age?
53

What truck do you drive?
I drive a Volvo FH 500.


How long have you been a Truckie?
16 years

How did you end up working in motor sport?
I was made redundant and I wanted to change my job. So, I took a quick lorry test which lasted 4 days, I passed the test and got my licence and started applying for all the Truckie jobs that were advertised in Autosport magazine. I finally got my first Truckie job working in British F3 in 1998.

Our teams spend a lot of money on travel and hotels to race in Marrakesh, Morocco. Do you think it is worth the huge, financial expense to hold a race here?
I think it is worth it as it helps promote motor sport to a new audience.

Do you prefer the latest satellite navigational aids or do you use maps?
I always prefer maps but I do have a sat.nav. I find that the sat.nav. is very good as it shows the distance and time to my destination, as I am driving. This information just helps me plan my day much better.

When was the last time you had an accident in your truck or caused any considerable damage to it?
It was in 2011, as I was driving through some narrow roadworks in Germany. I was concentrating so hard on my driving that I actually concentrated too hard and that caused me to touch the road barriers against the side of the truck. I hope that makes sense !! The trailer had a large scrape line along one side. My boss gave me a strict warning "not to do it again".

What is your favourite country to visit and race in?
USA.

What is your favourite country to drive your race truck in?
Definitely not in the UK. It is so busy with traffic and roadworks. But I really enjoy driving in the rest of Europe as the roads do not have the same amount of traffic.

What annoys you most about other road users when you drive your race truck?
Nothing at all.

Our trucks are limited to a maximum speed of 90 kmh, do you think that this limit should be raised to 100 kmh?
No, I am quite happy to drive at 90 kmh. I can just set the cruise control on the truck and enjoy the varied countries that I drive through.
Pete leaves Spain.



                                      -------------------------------------------------------------


The next Truckie on my Q&A list is "Moisty". That is not his real name but just the name that everybody knows him by. He has been a Truckie almost as long as Pete, and he is still a crucial and invaluable part of his team.
"Moisty"
What,s your name?
Steve (moisty)


Age?
40


What type of truck do you drive?

Renault premium 420 DCI

How long have you been a truckie?
12yrs.


How did you end up working in motor sport?

I was working at Lotus and I had chance to learn to be a Truckie. I suppose I was in the right place at the right time.
 
Our teams spend a lot of money on travel and hotels so we can race in Marrakesh, Morocco. Do you think it is worth the huge, financial expense to hold a race here?
Once we arrive in Marrakesh, it's all good but it's getting there with the truck that is a problem.

Do you prefer the latest satellite navigational aids or do you use maps?

I use both.

When was the last time you had an accident in your truck or caused any considerable damage to it?

Getting on the boat in Algeciras, Spain caused some damage to the underside of the trailer. As the loading ramp is so steep, we knocked a skid plate off and bent one of the side locker doors.

What is your favourite country to visit and race in?

Spain.

What is your favourite country to drive your race truck in?

France because I love the roads.

What annoys you most about other road users when you drive your race truck?

Nothing. I'm too chilled out for road rage.

Our trucks are limited to a maximum speed of 90 kmh, do you think that this limit should be raised to 100 kmh?

Yes. Modern trucks are very safe and have good braking systems and it would make the journey time a little quicker.
"Moisty" in Tangiers port, Morocco.

Well I hope you enjoyed a different view from these two Truckies. I hope to meet them again in 2014 somewhere on Europe,s vast road network or at a race track somewhere.