TRANSLATION

Friday 22 March 2013

Flat out to Monza....part 2

So much work has meant that I have been too busy to write anything for my blog but now I have some time, so please continue reading.

My journey to Monza got off to a bad start. Not only did I have to leave one day early but I was then left waiting for 3 hours in Germany because the promotional equipment had not been delivered. Therefore, I had to collect everything and to take it all to Monza. This little detour cost us time, extra money for diesel and road tolls and is probably the most expensive "courier service" you could use. I hope this does not happen again to me. When I finally get loaded up, there is not much driving time left so I am forced to stay in Luxembourg overnight, before driving through France towards the Alps and the Mont Blanc Tunnel. It is 300 euros to go through the tunnel but saves me alot of time and diesel. The views as you approach the Alps and also when you emerge on the Italian side are beautiful and it makes me realise how lucky I am to do this job.
Despite being late in the evening, I decide that I will just have enough driving time to get to Monza circuit. Even though it is late at night when I arrive, the traffic into Monza is very, very busy. The circuit has 2 entrances and the first one that I try is closed. Now comes the fun part. I am in a very narrow road and the only way is forward and then take a couple of left turns before I can get back out to a bigger road. The last left hand turn I make is as tight as you can get get with a 16.5 metre long race truck. I have parked cars, a wall and road signs all around me. I have to constantly get in and out of the truck to check that I do not hit anything then drive forward, stop, get out again and check that I have not collided with anything. It takes 10 minutes before I finally get road the corner and reach the safety of a bigger road. At 2300 hours, I am parked at Monza circuit and I can relax and think about getting a good nights sleep.
Iveco Stralis"leading truck"

Everything is now set up and the cars are ready to start practicing tomorrow(Saturday).
For the first time ever, a truck has been designated as the "Leading car" for the WTCC races. How they will do this, I do not know but it is big and orange and you definately will not miss it. I hope they have taken the speed restrictor off the truck otherwise it will be driving around at 90 kmh. A truck has very fast acceleration when it is does not pull a trailer and I think this 500 HP monster will not disappoint. I will leave you with some pictures of the Truckies arriving in Monza and lets hope we have some good racing this weekend.

A broken truck for one of the teams








Lada team unload the cars.

Tom Boardman reversing his race truck up to the garage.

3 trucks for the JAS Honda team

Seat team doing a blind side reverse...very difficult
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           .