TRANSLATION

Sunday 29 July 2012

WTCC 2013 Calendar - 41300 kilometres and counting....

A list of possible race tracks that the WTCC could be visiting next year means some forward planning for the Truckies. I have just added up the distance, and even travelling from circuit to circuit, it comes to approximately 41300 kilometres.
Obviously all the teams will have to drive to the 1st race in Monza and then the teams will return to their factories. This process will be repeated for all of the European rounds of the WTCC. Maybe some teams will not bother going back home between some events but I think you can see that we will do alot of travelling next year.

Provisional Calendar for 2013 WTCC Season
10th March - Monza, Italy
24th March - To Be Confirmed, Spain
7th April - Marrakech, Morocco
28th April - Slovakiaring, Slovak Republic
5th May - Hungaroring, Hungary
19th May - Salzburgring, Austria
9th June - Moscow Raceway, Russia
30th June - Porto, Portugal
28th July - Curitiba, Brazil
22nd September - Sonoma Raceway, USA
20th October - Suzuka, Japan
3rd November - Shanghai, China
17th November - Macau, China

From a personal point of view, I hope that the KSO (WTCC organisers) can find another venue in Spain, other than Valencia.
As for Morocco, I know that all the Truckies will be very upset when they see that we have to visit here again. I have already voiced my opinions, in my previous blog posts, about Morocco. If it was possible, I would like to see everything put in containers and sent there. Unfortunately, this is logistically and financially impossible. Maybe I could email the King of Morocco, get him to read my blog and make our lives easier.
After the Porto race, I expect we will load up the containers in Portugal to be sent by ship to Brazil. I think this will be a very tight schedule to keep as it is 8200 kilometres between the two circuits. If a container ship moves at 20-25 knots, that is 177 hours at sea or just over a week. I know that they travel even slower through busy shipping lanes. Add that to loading and unloading times, customs clearance and road travel. I will have to talk with DHL to get a clearer picture of this matter as my calculations could be wrong.
One of the better roads in Russia on the way to the circuit. M9 Riga Mototorway



Inside view of Moscow Raceway garage
Driving to Moscow could be interesting as I am certain that the Russian roads are going to destroy tyres and suspension units if the Truckies are not careful. At least the weather should be warmer in June when we go to Russia. Some fellow Truckies were in Russia this year for the Renault World Series so I will be getting as much useful information from them as I can. You can access the circuit from two directions(see pictures)
Sign from Volokololamsk Motorway direction
I highlighted in an earlier post about the distance we travel, using trucks, boats and planes and I can feel another massive carbon footprint happening in 2013. Can motorsport EVER be enviromentally friendly??